December 30, 2011

Year's results...

I think, that today is appropriate time to look back onto what happened in 2011th, and to think, what to do in next year. Many things happened in 2011th...
  • I got promotion to principal engineer, so some new activities were added to my usual duties, I started to work more closely with other teams around the world.
  • Traveled a bit - was in England on business trip,  together with wife were 3rd time on Canary Islands, spent a week traveling in England, Holland, plus did some trips in Germany (Cologne, Rhein, etc.).
  • Rode 2000km on my bicycle, and want to make more next year...
  • Participated in release of several books in different roles: as technical proofreader for Mannings "Mahout in Action" & "Tika in Action", and as translator for Russian translation of famous "Types and Programming Languages", plus I helped slightly in translation/proofing of more functional programming-related books that will be released next year (in Russia).
  • Open-source activity wasn't so great as before, because of lack of free time, usually did small patches for different projects - muse, haskell-mode, mahout, CEDET, incanter, and several more.
  • Tried to continue to write articles, so at begin of year, I wrote article about TDD & Unit testing in C++, and at the end of year, wrote (together with Dmitry Bushenko) small tutorial (in Russian) on how to extend Emacs for refactoring of code. We plan to extend this article with more examples, including more tools from CEDET/Semantic, and than translate it to English.  Also gave a talk about Emacs for Scala.by user group (via Google+ Hangout)...
  • Read a lot, mostly technical books...
  • And one of the most interesting experiences was participation in Stanford's University experiment - online classes on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML). It was very interesting to study there, and they teach me many new interesting things + plus I had a chance to read some books that were bought some time ago, but simply stayed on my bookself, for example, Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. I got only 89% overall score on AI class (I need to check my homeworks more carefully ;-), but anyway it's very interesting experience. ML class was more "easy" for me, but it also was interesting and allowed me to study many new things.  I hadn't received my certificate for ML class yet, but I hope that it will be good - I did all homeworks & programming tasks... (If you hand't participated in that courses, I recommend to look onto actual list of cources at ML Class site, maybe you'll find something interesting for you - they will offer much more courses in January-March!).


What's next? I plan to investigate topics that are interesting for me - natural language processing (including study at Stanford's NLP class), machine learning, etc. Plan to participate more actively in open source projects, especially in Clojure-related. Continue to read new books (I already prepared pile of books for reading on vacation). Will try to make my personal record in cycling (I plan to make 3000km next year :-). And do many other things...

And now, I want to wish Happy New Year to everybody!

7 comments:

Chris Umbel said...

ML-Class was a highlight of the year for me as well. It certainly gave me an interesting list of personal education goals for 2012.

Chris Umbel said...

Oh, and I'll be taking the Stanford NLP class as well. Very excited about it as my current open source efforts are NLP oriented.

This stuff makes us stronger!

Alex Ott said...

@Chris: yep, NLP is very interesting topic...

Dmitry said...

Hi Alex,

thanks to you I found out about ml-class. It was really great experience! I hope someday you will write a tutorial on applying CEDET/Symantic for building IDEs.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Qrilka said...

minor correction: "will [be] released"

Mark Watson, author and consultant said...

Alex, I am signed up for the NLP class also, in addition to the Probabilistic Graphical Models class.

Alex Ott said...

@Mark: I decided to take only one course in time, otherwise I don't have time for other projects...